Locate Online Articles with Gale's Virtual Reference Library
- A reference encyclopedia database containing many social science and history titles, a few of which are listed on the left side of this page.
- Provides full text encyclopedia articles of topic overviews and biographies.
1. From the library's home page, under Quick Links, click on Gale Virtual Ref. Lib. (See Remote Accesss box for username) Enter your keywords in the search box at the top
2. or try the following Advanced Search or create your own search. You can leave the KEYWORD or change for a more broad search use ALL TEXT. NOTE: Use asterisk * for all forms of the word, ex. Mexican American* = Mexican American(s); Latino* = Latino(s); Latina*= Latina(s)
3. Document Title - searches your keywords anywhere in the title of an article. Keyword (searches first paragraph)
4. Browse through the results and click on ones that support your thesis or topic.
5. Narrow your results by searching for keywords "within these results".
6. To search within a publication, search for keywords "within this publication" or click the title to see the Table of Contents or Index.
7. To hear an audio version of the article, click the Listen button.
8. NOTE: Search for a word on any web page by holding down the Control and F keys on a PC, Apple and F on a Mac.
To search an individual encyclopedia title, click on the title and search the publication.
9. Citations are available at the bottom of each article. The MLA citation will be sent to you when you email articles.
10. Use the Tools box (below) to print, e-mail, download text file or MP3 file. You can also Translate the text or get Citation Tools.