Creative Commons Image by Pixabay
Part 1: The Proposal
Select a human issue on sex and gender that you want to conduct a cross-cultural comparison on and try to find anthropological solution for. Write a proposal (1-2 paragraphs) on a topic.
A few examples of larger issues where you can select something within these and tie back to culture: i.e. intersex, transgender/transexuality acceptance, equality, structural violence, inequality, etc. See assignment PDF for more ideas.
- Consider ideologies, practices, beliefs, social structures, social institutions, enculturation, culture change, etc.
Part 2: The Annotated Bibliography
Locate 3+ scholarly sources (history, contemporary data, analysis, etc.)
Peer reviewed articles preferred
Provide a citation for this source in your References
Provide a brief summary of the information in the article
Part 3: The Essay/Report
Write a 5-6 page report
explain the issue, how its related to culture, who the stakeholders are and what are their positions/ concerns/ desires/ etc.
- use annotated bibliography sources to support your explanations
consider data from participant observation, pop culture, news sources, media, etc.
- use 5-10 terms from class (bold and define them the first time you use them)
- prepare at least one possible solution/approach using an applied anthropological perspective
- present why this solution will help and how it relates to the cultural context of the group